Chicken Feed Consumption Advice
One of the most common questions we get is how much feed do I need? While there are many factors that impact how much feed that your birds will need over the years we have established the following guidelines:
Starter Feed - For the first 6 weeks your chicks should be on organic starter feed. Each bird will require about 1 ounce per day or approximentaly 2.63 pounds of feed for the first 42 days.
Grower Feed - Starting with week seven thru week 15, feed your laying chickens organic grower feed. The protein level of this feed is typically 18%. You will need about 8 pounds of feed per bird based on a consumption of 3 ounces per bird per day.
Layer Feed - At about 16 weeks*, switch your chickens to layer feed. The protein level of this feed is typically 16% to 17%. A laying hen will consume about 1.75 pounds of feed per week.
Detailed Layer Chicken Feed Chart can be found here
* Note: Once your birds begin laying switch them to layer feed. If you have grower feed left, mix it with the layer feed. No more than 50% grower should be added
Starter Feed - For the first 2 weeks your chicks should be on organic Non-GMO Starter feed. Each bird will require about 1 ounce per day or approximentaly one pounds of feed for the first 14 days.
Grower Feed - Starting with week three, feed your broiler/free range chickens organic Non-GMO grower feed. The protein level of this feed is typically 18%. You will need about 14 pounds of feed per bird, assuming that you butcher at week 8 or 9. A rule thumb per bird is listed below.
Rule of Thumb Feed Chart Broiler Free Range Chickens
- Week 1 - 5 ounces starter feed
- Week 2 - 11 ounces starter feed
- Week 3 - 1 pound grower feed
- Week 4* - 1.5 pounds grower feed
- Week 5* - 2.5 pounds grower feed
- Week 6* to slaughter, 3 pounds grower feed per week
Detailed Broiler/Free Range Chicken Feed Consumption Chart can be found here
* Note: Starting with week 4, allow your broiler chickens to run out of feed on a daily basis. This is good for them and encourages them to free range
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at Sales@organicfeedstore.com